We sell traditionally reared, pedigree Ryeland lamb as either whole or half lambs. Typically, a butchered half lamb weighs about 8kg.
Our lamb is professionally butchered, vacuum packed and delivered ready to freeze. A half lamb requires very little freezer space – once jointed and packed, it will fill one drawer of an average domestic upright freezer.
We breed our own lambs here at Dalmore. They are Coloured Ryelands, a traditional British breed originally from the area around Hereford. The Ryeland is one of the oldest recognized breeds of sheep, having been developed by the monasteries to graze the rye pasturelands, hence the name. Born in early April, our lambs graze our herby pastures for a full six months.
In the autumn, we take them to Downfield Farm abattoir in Cupar; the carcasses are then delivered to Stuart Minick, Butchers, at Ladybank to be hung for a minimum of 7 days before being butchered. Then it’s over to you!
The meat will be presented as a selection of joints, chops, dice and mince. If you have any special requirements please let us know and we’ll tell the butcher.
A half Ryeland lamb typically comprises:
- Lamb shanks – perfect for long, slow cooking
- Leg of lamb (whole bone in or boned and cut into smaller joints, your choice) – the traditional Sunday roast, with garlic and rosemary
- Chump, double loin chops and single loin cutlets – tender, for grilling or frying
- Boned and rolled shoulder of lamb – great for stuffing and roasting
- Neck fillet – for tasty casseroles
- Scrag end (bone in) – for traditional Lancashire Hotpot!
- Diced lamb – fantastic for curries and casseroles
- Lamb mince – for burgers, moussaka and Shepherd’s Pie or this can be made into sausages, perfect for the barbeque.
This year’s lamb price is £13/kg. We ask for a deposit (non-refundable) of £30 per half lamb, payable at time of ordering. This will be deducted from the final invoice. The balance will be payable when you collect your lamb pack from us.
We will also have lamb and mint burgers and lamb sausages (herby, merguez and jalfrezi) to add to your box if you wish. Four 1/4lb lamb and mint burgers will be £4.50 and lamb sausages – herb, jalfrezi or mergeuz – will be £9/kg (while stocks last).